Tips for Beautiful Portraits
Having your photo taken should be a fun experience. However, a lot of time clients are apprehensive because they do not know what to expect. What should I wear, how should I pose, what happens if I have a blemish, how should I smile...? I know how you feel. I have been on the other side of the camera.
At D.J. Johnston Photography, we aim to make the session comfortable for you. Before we even embark on a shoot, we will personally meet with you to answer all your questions and address your concerns. During our 30 minute consultation, we will address the following:
- Location: we do all of our portrait sessions against the best backdrop available - Nature! If you have a special location, or a place that holds significance in your heart we are open to holding your session there. If not, we have plenty of locations that we can suggest.
- Wardrobe: based on the location and time of the year, we will offer suggestions around what to wear. We want you to stand out against your backdrop and match an outfit to the scene. After all, it probably wouldn't look too natural if you were wearing formal attire while hiking through the woods.
- Poses and Shots: is there a specific photo you have seen and want to replicate? Are there any arrangements that are "must have's?" If so, please share these with us. While we have plenty of shots in mind, we want to give you the ones that best match your personality and lifestyle.
- Personalities: we like to know a bit about those we are photographing. This helps us select poses that best represent you. A photo feels most natural when we capture you being "you." If children are involved, we like to understand their schedules so we can work around meals, snacks and naps.
We offer multiple, custom portrait sessions, including:
- Couples and Engagement
- Maternity and Newborn
- Family and Children
- Professional Headshots
Contact us today to schedule your portrait session - we look forward to working with you!
1. Be yourself and act naturally. The more natural you are, the more natural the photos will appear afterwards.
2. Allow time to prepare for your shoot.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I wear for my portrait session?
A: It depends on the location and the time of year. In general, you want to wear clothes that stand out against the background. Also, you should choose outfits that fit your personality and the location. For example, if we are shooting on a hiking trail through the woods, wear clothes that are typical for hiking.
Q: What happens if the weather does not cooperate?
A: We all know weather is unpredictable, which is why we proactively select a contingency date when we book the session. Should the weather be unfavorable, we will move the shoot to the contingency date.
Q: How long does a photo shoot last?
A: Most portrait sessions will last 2 hours. When we go out for a session, our primary focus is to capture the best moments and the shots you have requested. Sometimes this may take a little more time, or a little less time. We are less worried about the time, and more focused on giving you the best experience possible.